Open for Bidding Through Nov. 17, Featuring Original Pete Rose Banishment Document & Over 600 Other Lots
600-plus lots of the finest sports memorabilia and collectibles including 1980 Phillies and 1986 Mets World Series Rings, Drew Brees first game jersey, Michael Jordan American Express Card, and signed bats and balls from Ruth, Cobb, Mantle, Gehrig and more are up for bid in company’s inaugural auction.
Ken Goldin has sold over $600 million in memorabilia over more than three decades from the biggest names in sports, history and pop culture. But none have been as important as the headline item in his new company’s first auction, as Goldin Auctions offers the original Pete Rose Banishment Document issued by the Office of the Commission of Baseball on August 23, 1989. It’s one of over 600 lots of rare and unique sports, history and pop culture memorabilia for sale through Nov. 17 at GoldinAuctions.com.
The 5-page document officially ended a 6-month investigation by the Office of the Commissioner as to allegations that Rose bet on baseball while manager of the Cincinnati Reds. The historic document was Rose’s personal copy, signed by Rose, his attorney Rueven J. Katz, Commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti and Deputy Commissioner Fay Vincent. It comes with a Letter of Authenticity from Rose saying that this was his personal copy, as well as full PSA/DNA LOA.
Signed by Pete Rose, Bart Giamatti and Fay Vincent, the document is expected to fetch highest price for a baseball document since the contract that sold Babe Ruth to Yankees sold for $996,000 in 2005.
The bid is now up to $133,100 as of Oct. 24, with 24 days of bidding to go.
“The banishment of Pete Rose from baseball is one of the most significant events in baseball in the past 50 years, making this among the most important document in baseball history not just because if it’s significance but because it is the only known document signed by Rose, Giamatti and Vincent,” explains Goldin. “We know there are many baseball historians, collectors and Rose fans around the world that will need to have this original document in their collections.”
Goldin Auctions launched with the goal of best serving collectors and consignors and holding itself to the highest standards in the industry. Their buyer’s premium is only 10%, an industry low. Every autograph comes with a full LOA from MLB, PSA/DNA or JSA. Game worn items come with LOAs by a team, player, MEARS, PSA/DNA or other respected, full LOA.
Collectors can bid with confidence, because their proxy/ceiling bid remains confidential—a practice not followed by many online auction houses. The auction is scheduled to close Nov. 17 at 10 pm ET but will follow the “15-minute rule” (meaning items will close once no bids have been received for 15-minutes).
Here’s a look at some highlight items in the GoldinAuctions.com Fall 2012 Premier Auction of Sports Memorabilia, Historical and Entertainment Industry Collectibles.
Baseball Bats, Balls, Trophies & More
- 1934 Yankees Signed Baseball (strong Ruth and Gehrig)
- 1980 Phillies World Series Ring
- 1986 Barry Lyons Mets World Series Ring
- 1908-10 Ty Cobb Game Used Bat (Mears A-7.5)
- 1934-37 Rogers Hornsby Game Used Bat (Mears A-7)
- 1930’s Babe Ruth Signed Bat
- 2001 Roberto Alomar Gold Glove; 1995-96
- 1976 Cincinnati Reds World Series Trophy
- 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle rookie card ( PSA 4)
- 1916 Herpolsheimer #182 Honus Wagner (PSA VG-EX PSA pop 1 of 1)
- 1911 T201 Mecca double folders complete set
- 1933 & 1934 Goudey complete sets
Jerseys & Game Used Gear
- 1977-78 Roger Staubach Game Used Jersey – finest in existence (A10 Mears)
- 2001 Drew Brees First NFL Game Worn Jersey (Chargers)
- 1994 Jerry Rice signed & inscribed Game Used Super Bowl Jersey
- 1995-96 Michael Jordan Game Worn Jersey. Championship Season (Mears ‘A10’)
- 2003-04 LeBron James Game Used Rookie Jersey
- 1992-93 Shaquille O’Neal Game Used Rookie Jersey
- 1950’s Norm Van Brocklin Game Used Rams Helmet
- 1982-83 UNC Autographed Basketball (w. Jordan, Perkins, Daugherty, etc)
- 2012 Derek Jeter Game used Yankee Home Jersey
- 1974 Joe Namath Jets Game Used Jersey
Unique Sports One-of-A-Kinds
- Michael Jordan’s American Express card
- 1939 Pasadena College Yearbook signed multiple times by Jackie Robinson
- Personal collections from “Broad Street Bullies” Bernie Parent & Dave Schultz
Historical, Entertainment & Pop Culture
- 1864 Abraham Lincoln Signed Civil War Document
- Audemars Piquet Royal Oak Offshore Chronograph “Arnold Legacy” Watch
- Avengers #1 Marvel Comic Book
- #359 X-Men Issues #1 1963 (CGC 4.0 very good)
- Original artwork and prints from Leroy Neiman, Stephen Holland & Billy Lopa
Go to GoldinAuctions.com and find the memorabilia you’ve been waiting for.